background

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Grandpa Hyer

On February 4, 2013 my grandfather, Clare Hyer, peacefully slipped from this life to the next. I feel extremely blessed to have been able to spend his final hours with him. The day that he passed I struggled to find words to express the emotions that I was feeling and the love that I had for him. My brother Randy seemed to say what I couldn't... He posted this to facebook just shortly after hearing of  my Grandpa's passing.  

The world lost something special today.......an individual.......probably the greatest man I've ever known.......at the age of 90 years old, my grandpa, who has been battling Lou Gehrig's Disease for an unknown length of time, returned home to live with his loving father in heaven. I will miss him dearly! He was one of the greatest examples to me through my life, and truly one of my hero's! Although he may be gone from us now, he will certainly not be forgotten! And to him I say, "God be with you til we meet again!"

I took this picture the night that my grandpa died. I had been looking through pictures of him and fell in love with this one, it was him shortly after joining the navy. He is so young here;  and strikingly handsome if I do say so myself.  
I spent the days following his passing preparing a slideshow of pictures from Grandpa's life. Together with Jake and my cousin Cynthia we made a wonderful CD, it was set to music from his generation and ours. It is something that I will cherish forever. 
Sorting pictures 
The finished product. We made 50 of them so that all of the children and grandchildren could have a copy.  

Grandpa was a veteran so his casket was draped with a flag.  

Me with three of my cousins. We grew up pretty close because we were all born within a year of each other.  As sad as funerals are it was wonderful to see all of them and spend time together.   




Dad walking with Grandma 




Steven, Randy and Kyle acted as the military honor guard for his graveside service. It was incredibly touching and I'm sure a memory that they will never forget.  
Randy playing Taps  


My brother Steven presenting my Grandma with the flag. The honor guard member with the highest rank presents the flag.  

Before we left the cemetery we all sang "Tell Me Why". Its an old song that my dad grew up singing as a child and then taught to our family when I was a kid.  
Grandma and her Children 
Randy and Aunt Susan 
We took this picture right before we left the gym after the family luncheon so its not everyone, but most of the grandchildren and some of the great grandchildren.  
Mom and Aunt Trudi
 
The boys in uniform
Rub a dub dub, five babies in a tub! This was taken back at my parents house after the funeral. Flynnie is the only boy with all these girl cousins!  
The kids coloring and being silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment